Friday 2 October 2009

I'm in a blog rut you guys...


I've fallen into the comparison trap. Do you know what I mean? I love checking out the other creative blogs out there and there are soo many wonderful blogs. They're inspiring and fun and gorgeous and then I think..."maaaaan, I wish my blog was like that one".

And then....I'm stuck.

I've always, always done it with everything creative I've done. I look at the next person's work and think "their work is better, why didn't I think of that! They win! Why can't I be better"!
I think lots people play the comparison game about something - looks, kids, cars, houses, cooking, partners, bank accounts, creativity - I can't stand it in myself!
At least I've grown less competitive as I've grown up. Although as you can see someone else still "wins" instead of me!
Rat bags.
I am guilty of dragging my feet, quitting or never even trying something new if I don't "get it" immediately. It's a problem. If I do "get it" no problemo, full speed ahead. Ugh.

I'm 32 years old and I'm still trying to figure out who I want to be and what I want to do when I grow up. I feel like I really should have it figured out by now. I hear all the warnings about pension funds and this and that. Oops! I decided to travel and move overseas instead! Oops!
I think I should be acting more like a grown up by now. Right? I should at least feel more grown up should I? Grown ups don't drag their feet and quit. Right???

But ya know what.
I'm just gonna dig my heels in. The message "you will achieve" does get through sometimes.
I'm gonna cancel those darn Etsy Storque emails {they're making me go into comparison insanity}. I'm gonna work on being ok, no, happy with what I do. I'm gonna work on loving what I do. I'm going to choose to flourish here and now.
I will stop comparing myself to all of the beautiful creativity around me and just drink it in instead.
The idea of drinking deeply from a well of creativity fills me with a feeling I can't describe.
It is good.

5 comments:

  1. I think you're right. Everyone goes through that comparison thing and the "why didn't I think of that!" I do it aaaaaalllllllll the time. It was listening to that voice that delayed me starting my blog for over a year, and my own folksy shop for even longer. If it makes you feel any better, I just looked at your makes and though "Ok, Mrs Woo wins" ;D

    PS - You're not really 32, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am totally 32. and you are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted a blog a while back about I'm thru being "cool" (worrying about/trying to be cool), it's sort of along the same thread of thought. It's liberating when you finally realize that you do not need to be anything other than who you are and are fine with exactly who you are. There will always be someone better, cooler, more creative, more martha stewart mom, richer, skinnier, whatever- but it's great to be fine with that and not let it ever make us wish we were different. Your blog is great and is uniquely you. No one could ever replicate that. It's fun to read your transparent blog post.. wish more people would do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good.

    I just stumbled upon your blog (and I am glad I did!) and this post makes a world of sense. Rather than comparing, think of the lovely company you are keeping. I am glad to be a part of a much larger whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. I just found you out in blogland, and I totally agree! I posted a while ago about the pressure to have it all 'figured out' at some stage, and am just coming to the realisation that I'm unlikely ever too! Sometimes I worry that I should have made up my mind by now, but that wouldn't be half as interesting, would it. Love your blog!
    x Pepper

    ReplyDelete

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing