Friday 16 March 2012

Bringing Up Bebe

Have you heard of this new parenting trend? The French way. I'm all for it, I'm a bit of a Francophile.

Why French Parents Are Superior

While Americans fret over modern parenthood, the French are raising happy, well-behaved children without all the anxiety. Pamela Druckerman on the Gallic secrets for avoiding tantrums, teaching patience and saying 'non' with authority.

I found the article pretty darn interesting as I want to raise Matilda to be happy, creative, content, thoughtful, loving, sympathetic, obedient and independent. I would love it if she was also a great and fearless eater :)
I don't believe her success must come at the cost of my happiness or mental well being but as a result. It seems to me that many parents don't believe they're being good parents unless it hurts or costs them in a big way. That makes no sense to me. Happy, healthy parents will be much more able to make happy, healthy kids right?

This idea really resounds with me:

Children should say hello, goodbye, thank you and please. It helps them to learn that they aren't the only ones with feelings and needs.
as do these:
Remind them (and yourself) who's the boss. French parents say, "It's me who decides."
Don't be afraid to say "no." Kids have to learn how to cope with some frustration.
I also read  this article The Juggle  Are French Parents Better?

I don't think the best way of parenting has to do with nationality, etc, but with attitude. I'm brand new to this parenting thing, but I've been a career babysitter, teacher's assistant, youth worker and nanny. I've been around lots of children and worked with some very difficult kids and some that were very easy.
The "Chinese way of parenting" has been getting attention too lately with the book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. It's a bit intense for my liking and not a natural fit for me. I find it interesting that American parents are now combing the globe for help to create better kids.

I'm not going to tell you, or anyone else how to parent or raise your children - I have just been inspired by what I've read thus far.

I've been typing with one hand while holding a sleeping Matilda & now giving her a bottle....I probably need both hands to burp her! See ya later!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing