Monday 8 August 2011

Bargains & Plum Cake

I got a large punnet of plums at the village shop for 20p! And a loaf of bread for 20p, a sweetheart cabbage for 20p and a bag of sweet potatoes...for 20p!
I'm feeling very pleased with myself. I'm marinading some big mushrooms Asian marinade. After sharing some cabbage with the Bunnies I will probably stir fry the rest & maybe make sweet potato oven chips?

Ready to see what I'm gonna make with the plums for dessert?
*Cardamom Scented Plum Cake*

I found the recipe on the One Year From Oak Cottage blog.  I wanted to make an upside down cake but I didn't have the right ingredients and I've already been to the shop.  I'm pretty sure I've got what I need for this! And boy does it look good!
Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it too :)

Makes 1 ten inch cake

I like to use the slightly tart purple Italian plums for this, but really any plum will do. A moist and rich cake with the delicate scents of vanilla and lemon, topped with tart and juicey sliced plums all underneath the cover of a delightly fragrant and spicy stresusal topping. This is definitely what I'd call moreish!

4 ounces butter
1/3 cup golden caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 TBS sour cream
1 pinch salt
grated zest of one lemon
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups plums, pitted and sliced into wedges
For the topping:
6 TBS butter
3/4 cup plain flour
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardomom

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/375*F. Lightly butter a 9 to 10 inch cake tin with a removeable bottom and set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, lemon zest, vanilla, sour cream and salt. Whisk the flour, baking powder together and then add it to the creamed mixture, mixing it in well. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.

Liberally spread the plums over top of the batter. I like to arrange them in a circular pattern, but that's just me, it's not necessary.

To make the topping whisk together the sugar, flour and spices. Rub in the butter until it is crumbly. Sprinkle it evenly over the plums.

Bake in the pre-heated oven on the middle rack for approximately 45 minutes to an hour, until the topping is nicely browned and the cake tests done. Remove from the oven and let sit for about 15 minutes, cooling on a wire rack, before removing the sides of the pan. Serve warm, cut into wedges with scoops of good quality vanilla ice cream.

****I bet it's as good as it looks!*****
Yum! 

1 comment:

  1. great plum recipe, i have a plum tree in the garden and have made plum cake, and i will try yours tomorrow if any of the shops open! xx

    ReplyDelete

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing