Thursday 21 July 2011

Our Fave Mac & Cheese

As a Southern Belle I am a bit of a Macaroni & Cheese expert. It was always my brother's favorite item on the Ryan's "MegaBar". We couldn't get enough!
My Grandmother makes a pretty mean baked Macaroni & Cheese I have to say. It's a given that there will be her baked mac & cheese if she's making a Roast Beef. Along with stuffed mushrooms and baked cauliflower. Mmmm! She's the best!
Since we don't have a Ryan's (do they even exist anymore???), and my Grandmother not only lives thousands of miles away, but she doesn't cook much any more I've had to make do.
I tried making a basic cheese sauce and baking it with cheese on top. It didn't really do it. I tried a few different recipes and Mr Woo didn't really have seconds. It wasn't until I stumbled upon the Nestle recipe that Mac and Cheese became a household favorite! Even Mr Woo's brother will show up on the door step if he hears I'm making this mac & cheese! He's on his way over actually cause it's what's for dinner :)


Traditional Macaroni & Cheese (by Nestle)

Ingredients

  • 1 2/3 cups (about 7 oz.) dry small elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk (I just use any old evaporated milk btw)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 2-quart casserole dish.

COMBINE cornstarch, salt, mustard and pepper in medium saucepan. Stir in evaporated milk, water, and butter. Cook over medium-heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in 1½ cups cheese until melted. Add macaroni; mix well. Pour into prepared casserole dish. Top with remainingcheese.

BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and light brown.

NOTE: To transform Macaroni & Cheese from a simple dish to a savory one-dish meal, add 1 cup chopped ham or hot dogs after milk mixture comes to a boil. (OR cooked broccoli with chicken breast or on it's own)
****I ran out of cornstarch when I made some chicken nuggets a few weeks ago so I googled to see if there were any substitutes, lucky there are! ****

Cornstarch substitutes

For each 1 tablespoon of cornstarch needed use: 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
OR
1 tablespoon potato flour or rice flour
OR
4 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
OR
2 teaspoons arrowroot
The boys are here and ready so I'd better get the food out!
Bye for now! 

1 comment:

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing