Sunday 13 March 2011

Hello Kitty & Kawaii

All of our hearts and minds are with those in Japan. It is unfathomable what they have been suffering. It is sometimes quite difficult to comprehend. We see the images on our television and computer screens. We hear the reports on the radio, podcasts, or other places online. Unless you are there, it is rather surreal. It may be really silly or stupid but one item of news that made it feel personal to me was the report that Yuko Yamaguchi, the creator of Hello Kitty had been killed in the earth quake. She has since updated her blog and is not only alive, but well. It all of a sudden felt real to me! I don't know Yuko. I've never even seen her in real life. But Hello Kitty has been a love of mine for years and years! I felt a sense of loss. I'm actually embarrassed to admit it. So many people have lost their lives and homes and everything they've owned and it was the possible death of Hello Kitty's creator that shook me.
I am a child at heart and in mind sometimes too. I am not alone. I'd like to honor the Japanese love of cuteness as it is something I love about Japan.
Since the 1970s, cuteness, in Japanese kawaisa (可愛さ?) (literally, "lovability", "cuteness" or "adorableness"), has become a prominent aspect of Japanese popular culture, entertainment, clothing, food, toys, personal appearance, behavior, and mannerisms.[1] It is also referred to as kawaii (literally, adorable, precious, lovable, or innocent[2]). wikipedia.
There is a Wikipedia article titled Cuteness in Japanese culture!


Amigurumi - literally knitted stuffed toy, is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures.
Here are a few free patterns





Nuigurumi literally means 'sew and wrap' in Japanese - but refers to rag dolls and stuffed animals!


 There is of course origami, 


I think I shall have to give Amigurumi a go in honor of the Japanese x

12 comments:

  1. great post - watching the news has just been so awful. it is unimaginable (i cant spell) what people are going though. then you follow it with the most wonderful picks. i have tried amigurimi and really struggle much to my frustration. some are so nice i nearly fell of my chair. that little house! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading & the encouraging words Miss Ginger x
    the house - yes! and the teeny tiny snail! what do you even use to knit that?! tooth picks?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. Obviously the world is shaken by the tragic happenings - I am too. But like you I just felt a personal loss when I read these lines. I haven't heard that rumour and only saw this here on your blog. I am glad she is alive and well. I feel the same way like you about HK. And regarding the whole catastrophy it is a personal approach to something very shocking but very far away.

    I love all things Kawaii and I am an avid Amigurumi crocheter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Little Miss Vintage Lovely Bossy! I'm so pleased you enjoyed this post. I would LOVE to see your Amigurumi! Share! Share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, where did you get the pattern from the toadstool garden and the small snail(?) from.

    Thanks

    Glenevis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Glenevis,

    I found the toadstool garden photo at http://www.craftycrafty.tv/

    and the small snail is from
    http://mochimochiland.com/

    I hope you can find the patterns, I never gave them a go as I'm not a very skilled knitter, maybe one day! Thanks so much for stopping by! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your reply. Can you help me with something else? I have a craft book on needle felting all written in Japanese and I don't understand it as there is no English, could you translate a bit for me? Thanks Glenevis

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm afraid I'll be no use in that dept Glenevis, I'm an American living in England. It might be a great pain, but have you tried using google translate?
    I find it pretty darn reliable. It'd just mean a bit of typing, but then you could copy & paste into a word document or something and have your translation to hand.
    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that turtle is literally killing me. That. is. so. damn. cute! I have a sewing blog that's dedicated to making stuff for my little chibi princesses! From one kawaii lover to another, I just want to say HI!!!

    sewchibi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. ARGH! It's a snail. Whatever... it's just slathered in sugary sweet awesome sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kat!!!! I'm headed over to your blog right now! I'm so excited that you found my little bit of cuteness overload!!!!

    ReplyDelete

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing