Thursday 4 November 2010

The Pumpkin Pie of My Dreams!

So living in the UK is wonderful, but there are a few disadvantages like finding canned pumpkin is hard work. And then it's expensive when you do find it.



I'm a pumpkin lovah. I couldn't wait for the pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks every year {esp in a red cup!}.
But alas. Starbucks UK does not do the most wonderful Pumpkin Spice Latte :(
I have found a copycat recipe but I haven't tried it yet...you know the whole lack for canned pumpkin thing.

I like pumpkin bread & pumpkin cupcakes & most of all pumpkin pie! Truth be told I could probably eat the pumpkin pie filling out of the can! I'm serious about pumpkin.

So can you imagine my delight when one of our American friend in the village said I could have her left over pumpkins!?!

But then I thought..."now what?"

As I am all about starting from scratch I got on my little kitchen laptop and looked for a pumpkin pie recipe for fresh pumpkins. And I found one that looked really easy. Everything goes in the blender! Look what it made!

i couldn't wait to take the photo....i ate it.
and it was really, really good!
I won't go back to canned pumpkin. I'm not kidding! Are you ready for the recipe that will transform your pumpkin pies???

Recipe by Canarygirl


Ingredients (for 2 pies):
2 pounds (1 kilo) fresh pumpkin, halved
2 pie crusts (use your favorite recipe, or cheat and buy pre-made ;) )
1 can (16 ounce/410 grams) evaporated milk
2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and allspice to taste…I like a spicier pie, so I add quite a bit (2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cloves and 1/2 teaspoon allspice *approximately*)

Preparation:
Heat oven to 390ºF/200ºC.
Line a baking sheet with foil and place pumpkin cut side down on sheet.
Bake about 30 minutes or until tender.


*this next step is the most important!!! You've got to remove as much liquid as you can!*
Line a sieve with a tea towel, and place pumpkin in sieve over a bowl, covered.
Allow to drain in fridge 24 hours, or, if you’re in more of a hurry, just twist the tea towel and squeeze out excess liquid.

You should have about 2-2/12 cups pumpkin after draining.

Heat oven to 390ºF/200ºC.

Prepare pie plates with crust, poking with a fork.

Puree all ingredients in a large bowl or blender.

Divide mixture between the two pie plates.

Bake at 390ºF/200ºC for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375ºF/175ºC.
Bake about an hour to an hour and a half, checking center of pie until no longer “jiggly”.

Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Serve with fresh whipped cream.
Chill any leftovers (if you’re lucky enough to have them) in the refrigerator.

Seriously just try to have left overs!

Next time I'll share with you the first recipe I've written myself!
Pumpkin & Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing!

We're still eating them...and when I say we I mean me.

Love,

7 comments:

  1. Your pumpkin pie looks really yummy. WEll done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! So awesome, you're an skilled baker. I love the cut outs on the top! I have to find this amazing pumpkin recipe my Mom made a few weeks ago for our fall dinner party, I think it's Paula Dean's recipe.. anyways, it's pumpkin heaven. I"m glad you got your pumpkin fix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here it is! Heaven!
    Paula Dean's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake Recipe:

    Cake:
    - 1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
    - 1 egg
    - 8 tablespoons butter, melted

    Filling:
    - 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    - 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
    - 3 eggs
    - 1 teaspoon vanilla
    - 8 tablespoons butter, melted
    - 1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
    - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    - 1 teaspoon nutmeg

    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

    Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

    To make the filling:
    In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.

    Serve with fresh whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i going to try it this weekend - i'll let you know..
    thanks
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi my friend;) i wouldlike to bake such a cake...meanwhile..may i have a bit of yours? thanks for sharing
    huges
    katia

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that looks wonderful! i am a pumpkin lova too! although i did have an eggnog latte at starbucks yesterday that was quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow Courtney! that looks delish!!! i will have to search for a box of yellow cake mix. They do actually have cake mix here, even Betty Crocker but only Carrot or Chocolate. So British! Ha!
    I have found a few recipes for pumpkin cheesecake bars, but Mr Woo is all about cheesecake so I might just go the whole hog and do a pumpkin cheesecake!

    Of course Katia! I'll save a piece for you! Well...we'll try ;)

    Yes please Miss Ginger! Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing