Friday 2 July 2010

You're A Grand Old Flag


You're a grand old flag
You're a high flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave.
You're the emblem of
The land I love.
The home of the free and the brave.
Ev'ry heart beats true
'neath the Red, White and Blue,
Where there's never a boast or brag.
But should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Keep your eye on the grand old flag.
I do love that song! I was in the 2nd grade at Ashley River Creative Arts Elementary when I learned it, along with quite a few other old patriotic classics like America the Beautiful, God Bless America , This Land Is Your Land and of course The Star Spangled Banner!  
I'm feeling very patriotic at the moment. Sunday is the 4th of July & I am one of a very few Americans in our village. Last year I was desperate to celebrate my country's birthday. I begged Mr Woo for weeks "pleeeeease lets do something for the 4th of July"...but I guess he forgot and I was glum. I have the most wonderful memories of celebrating the 4th with my grandparents. I spent my summers with them every year so they always made sure we did something fun! I loved it! County fairs, country bbqs, a couple of times we spent the 4th on Cape Cod - that was really special - I felt like I was in JAWS {which is a good thing btw}!
I'm craving watermelon and long for a proper American Fireworks display. I want my sparklers and to feel overwhelmed when the National Anthem plays over the fireworks at the Statue of Liberty. I know, I know, America is not perfect, but, what country is? My grandparents were Italian immigrants in the 1920s. Their families risked everything to live the "American dream". My grandfather served his new country in the Army Airforce in WWII. He was proud to be an American. Maybe that's why the 4th of July is so special to our family. I'd never really thought about it until just now. Like every other immigrant to arrive in New York harbor on their way to Ellis Island for processing,  my grandfather and his mother and his brothers will have seen Lady Liberty welcoming them "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."
For them, the Ingoglios, I celebrate my home country's birthday. For pure hope & strength to take a leap of faith I will remember my great grandparents and think of my grandparents. For Giovanni Giuseppe Ingoglio whom became John Joseph Ingoglia and married Rose Marie Asmundo. They became parents to four daughters including Carol Anne Ingoglia Lowther, my mother. 
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA! 

2 comments:

  1. I really hope Mr Woo does arranges something to celebrate tomorrow. I'm reminiscing about my trip to NY to see Mr Bogert on a work placement, and we were there for the 4th July. The atmosphere was amazing, but it was 6 long years ago. I so want to go back and see the fireworks again! Happy 4th July, Mrs Woo for tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I've taken the bull by the horns! my partner in crime Jayne is planning pancakes for breakfast! and then Mr Woo, Jayne and I are car booting followed by a picnic...which is a close to a bbq as I'm gonna get I think.
    One of these years I'm gonna do a big party including watermelon & fireworks and I will invite you and your brood!

    The 4th in NY is extra special! How wonderful that you got to experience that! I'd rather celebrate in NY than DC! New Yorkers are more fun!
    Thanks so much for the happy 4th wishes! I feel like a kid at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing