Wednesday 22 August 2018

drum roll please!



All. The. Crying. and Screeching. 

I still can't believe it. I got the job of my dreams! MY DREAM JOB! I'm still pinching myself, is this really real? Apparently, yes. It's totally real. I don't know how many people were interviewed. What I do know is that I was the only one who interviewed who did not have a single one of the necessary qualifications... I mean, I graduated high school. I've done a few classes over the years. 
I've worked lots and lots of  very various jobs. 
I've done thousands of hours of voluntary work including taking other people's children to Africa! What in the heck were we thinking?! 

What I lack in formal teaching experience I make up for in passion and tenacity and enthusiasm. You know, it's really hard for me to say this, those darn church roots... I bloody deserve it! 
It feels weird to acknowledge my good points, it's not humble to say "I'm awesome". I'm on a journey to not be uncomfortable naming my strengths without coming across as "big headed" (the other dreaded claim. 

Guess what y'all....I'm back at that Middlewich Starbucks, drinking another cold brew, almond milk latte. This time I'm supposed to be lesson planning but I'm stalling because I'm scared that I'm gonna do it wrong. One lesson I'm learning myself is that it's ok to fail or not be perfect, I can learn from it. That's soooo difficult for a perfectionist like me, but I'm trying. 

and because I'm now on a caffeine high you'll be getting some random thoughts
(aka stalling from lesson planning as long as possible...)

My Mom is visiting from South Carolina. She still manages to surprise me with little revelations. Turns out I get my perfectionism and love of details from my Dad. WHO KNEW?! If you don't know me personally you'll have no idea that my dad died suddenly, possibly of a purposeful overdose of prescription medication when I was 20. 
He was an alcoholic and drug addict and.... PUBLIC SPEAKER?! What?! I had no idea. 
He travelled around with AA as an ambassador. 
WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?! Why is my Mom only telling me this stuff now?! 
She also told me that he worked as a chef in Key West!!! 
Are you kidding?! This is the first I've heard of this from anyone. 


I had always wondered who I took after. Nature vs Nurture stuff. I look like my mom, but I have my dad's eyes and feet (I know, random).
My mom is NOT a planner. She's laid back about the things that I have to have planned in detail. She's an incredibly strong and determined woman, tick. She is community minded, tick. She's the kind of person who usually gives practical gifts like a dryer or fridge or "pick out a top for your birthday". I'm not complaining, I love my new fridge!
My dad was the one who'd give you clues for weeks about birthday presents. They were always extremely thoughtful and creative. I like to put a lot of thought into gifts, even if I don't spend a lot, I like to make is special.
I was always terrified of taking after my Dad. I didn't want to be an addict. I didn't want to be grumpy. I didn't want to be the kind of person who scared me, which is what he was. It was a complicated relationship.

But it's starting to look like I'm an awful lot like my Dad. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, but it's interesting.

Ok. I've stalled enough for now. I'd better get some work done, I don't have much child free time!

TTFN!






No comments:

Post a Comment

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing