Thursday 20 May 2010

ooo la la!


My love affair with French Macarons continues! I am becoming obsessed with those gorgeous little sweeties! I have only had the pleasure of tasting them once, and that was in Switerland - so they were ever so slightly different than the french ones. None the less beautiful I assure you!
 oh the colors!
Just in case you've not heard of Macarons, let me fill you in! 

a la Wikipedia:    
Macaron
Macarons in a variety of colours.
A macaron is a confectionery whose name is derived from an Italian word “maccarone” or "maccherone". This word is itself derived from ammaccare, meaning crush or beat, used here in reference to the almond paste which is the principal ingredient...
It is meringue-based: made from a mixture of egg whites, almond flour, and both granulated and confectionery sugar.
The confectionery is characterized by its smooth, domed top, ruffled circumference, and flat base.
Connoisseurs prize a delicate, egg shell-like crust that yields to a moist and airy interior. The French macaron differs from other macarons in that it is filled with cream or butter like a sandwich cookie, and can be found in a wider variety of flavors that range from the traditional (raspberry, chocolate) to the exotic (truffle, matcha tea).

 How do you feel? Are you both hungry and smitten? Mesmerised by the colors?

I sooo want to make them, but I need a pastry bag. I should really have a pastry bag anyhow right? I can take cake decorating up a notch...

I've found a couple of great tutorials on making macarons...
 Trissalicious offers one as does David Lebowitz with lots of info and links.
Sucre, a bakery in New Orleans, has a video on their page.

Now all I need is a pastry bag and ingredients!

We're off to London for Mr Woo's birthday next weekend. I found a French bakery and have sent the link to our host. So believe you me I'll snapping photos and enjoying those sweet sweet sweeties! 
mmm! 

Do you like Macarons? Do you have a fave photo or recipe? Tell me! Lets enjoy together!


3 comments:

  1. The colours just make me swoon!! And I think you do really need a pastry bag, doesn't every one! Isn't there a Ladoree shop in London now that sells these macarons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a ladoree shop in Burlington Arcade and a concession in Harrods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you got to go on a trip recently and tell Mr Woo happy b-day! It's amazing how busy the summer can get (and it's probably not even technically summer yet)! Anyways, I have never tasted a macaron (??)- but those look delish! I mean, how can they not be delicious with those ingredients, right! :)

    ReplyDelete

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing