Monday 21 December 2009

My New Pal!


I've got a new pal and her name is Fannie Flagg! Ok, so...I don't actually know Fannie Flagg but I've been reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe for the past couple of months. One could get through it a whole lot faster than I have been doing, but it's so fun and so good I have wanted to make it last and last. This book makes me laugh out loud! Love it!
I've only got a couple of chapters left but I don't want it to end so I've been having a look to see if I can get my hands on anything else Mrs Flagg has written. Are you ready for this fun-ness? There are recipes on her Publisher Profile!

Here are a few reasons Fannie Flagg is my pal:
  • She is a sassy southern woman (from Alabama).
  • She makes me laugh (well her writing does!)
  • She is a wonderful story teller, I just don't want her stories to end!
  • She shares recipes!
What fun! I have discovered that if you want Sipsey's Fried Green Tomato recipe you'll have to buy the cookbook, I would if I could! Believe you me!
OR you can do as I have done and look up one of the FGT fan sites!


A Few of Sipsey's Recipes (Adapted by Evelyn)

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon soda

2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup Crisco

2 teaspoons salt
1 cup buttermilk


Sift dry ingredients together. Add Crisco and blend well until like fine meal. Add buttermilk and mix. Roll out thin and cut into desired size biscuit. Bake in greased pan and 450 degrees until golden brown.

These saved Naughty Bird, Big George's daughter's, life.

Fried Green Tomatoes

1 medium green tomatoes (per person)*
pepper
salt
White cornmeal
bacon drippings**

Slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick, season with salt and pepper and then coat both sides with cornmeal. In a large skillet, heat enough bacon drippings to coat the bottom of the pan and fry tomatoes until light browned on both sides.

You'll think you died and gone to heaven!

* I know from experience that a hard red tomato works well too
** can substitue with about 2 inches of vegetable oil 


7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book! Can't wait to try the fried green tomatoes!

    Happy Holidays Felicia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you! Long time no talk. :) I read that book years ago and liked it a lot! I also made the tomato recipe at the back of the book-- soooo good!!!

    xoxo
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the movie of this when I was a kid with my Mum, and it was one of my favourites. I really want to try the recipes now though! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finished the book last night! YAY and Boo! And just like Amy said there were recipes in the back of the book! There's one for pecan pie I just might be trying out for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I see that you had a lovely holiday and wanted to stop by and say hello.

    Also, I added your button link to my blog. I meant to do it before but for some reason couldn't find it. Then, BLAM! there it was. So there it is.

    I've recently updated my link button if you'd like to link back to me ;)

    Hope to see you in the chat room soon. Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Wishing you much happiness in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really have some killer book recs on here!

    ReplyDelete

whatcha thinkin' love?

 
Top Bing